Register a Tenancy Online
The quickest way to register a tenancy is by using our online facility
Please note: if you forget your password/pin you will need access to the email account that is registered to your RTB online account in order to recover these details. It is important that if you change your email address you should log into your RTB account and update your profile with this new information.
If you do not already have an online account;
- you will need to create an online account here
- if you need assistance in creating a new online account here is a step-by-step guide to help you
If you already have an online account;
- Click here to log in and register a tenancy online
- In order to access your online account, you will need your account ID, password and pin. When you first created your account, you will have received an e-mail, which will contain your account ID.
- Here is a step-by-step guide of how to register a tenancy online
To view additional information on creating and managing your RTB online account please click here.
Please note that the registration rules will vary for Student Specific Accommodation. More information can be found here.
Because of the restrictions in place due to Covid-19, we can no longer accept paper form tenancy registration applications into the RTB during this emergency period.
If you have any queries in relation to your registration, we would encourage everyone to use our online services such as Web Chat and e-mail during this time.
If you need assistance our customer contact service will continue through Web Chat to operate during regular business hours on our website, or you can email any queries to email@example.com
The following information will be required by the RTB in order to register a tenancy:
- Rented Dwelling Address
- Dwelling Type (i.e. Whole of House/Apartment/Flat Bedrooms,
- Bedspaces & Number of Occupants
- Approximate Floor Area in Square Metres
- BER Cert Rating (if applicable)
- Local Authority in which rented dwelling is located
- Tenancy Commencement Date
- Landlord name/address/ppsn
- Tenant Name/ppsn
- Authorised Agent (if applicable) Name/Address/CRO number/ppsn
- Management Company (if applicable) Name/Address/CRO number
Payments can be made as follows:
- Credit/Debit/Laser Card
- Bank Draft
- Postal Order
For security reasons the RTB is unable to accept cash as payment for fees.
IF POSTING AN APPLICATION ENSURE TO KEEP A COPY OF THE FORM AND PROOF OF POSTAGE TO THE RTB FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS.
Once the tenancy registration has been fully processed by the RTB and paid in full by the landlord, both landlord and tenant(s) will receive a letter, confirming the tenancy has been registered. Letters of confirmation are issued by e-mail or post, depending on the preferred method of communication chosen by the landlord. Typically letters to the tenants are issued by post, unless the RTB has received a request to do so by email. Tenancy confirmation letters are important documents and should be kept in a safe place as landlords and tenants, may need to refer to it during the tenancy or after the tenancy has ended.
Landlords may use the confirmation letter as a receipt for payment of the registration fee, where appropriate. Landlords may be requested to provide this confirmation letter to the Revenue Commissioners when seeking mortgage interest relief on residential properties. Tenants may require proof of their tenancy for a number of State Agencies – the confirmation letter may be required for this purpose also.
Amendments made to the Residential Tenancies Act, in 2019, mean that landlords will be required to register each tenancy annually based on the anniversary of the tenancy commencement date. This part of the legislation has not yet commenced, so tenancy registration continues as usual, when a new tenancy starts or a renewal of a tenancy takes place. If you are an existing landlord, the RTB will contact you prior to the introduction of Annual Registration, to make sure you are fully informed. For further information, see Annual Registration for further details.