Third party dispute resolution services

Third parties are those who are directly and adversely affected by neighboring tenants and have the right to bring a case against the landlord of those tenants.

Visual of a construction site

Third parties are those who are directly and adversely affected by neighbouring tenants and have the right to bring a case against the landlord of those tenants.

If you are having issues with a neighbour who is a tenant, you can apply for dispute resolution as a third party. All parties involved should initially try to resolve the matter directly themselves. 

A landlord owes to each person who could be affected (for example by anti-social behaviour) a duty to enforce the responsibilities of the tenant(s) in the tenancy. In cases where a landlord fails to enforce a tenant’s responsibilities, a person directly and adversely affected may take a case against the landlord through the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB).

The case will be heard by an independent RTB adjudicator or mediator, who can direct the landlord to enforce their tenants’ responsibilities. In the interest of fairness, tenants will be a notice party to a third party case. This means they will be copied on information relating to the case, receive all evidence submitted by both the landlord and third party and can attend an adjudication hearing, if they wish. Landlords can also be ordered to make substantial payments to affected parties for the distress caused by their failure to enforce their tenants’ responsibilities.

Please note that third party issues in relation to the standard and maintenance of a rental dwelling are a matter for local authority enforcement and the RTB does not have jurisdiction to deal with such complaints. It should also be noted that in order to provide a fair and neutral service to all parties, the RTB are unable to provide legal advice or specific guidance to either party in relation to their dispute. 

Initial Steps

The person affected (or third party)

The affected person must first attempt to resolve the matter directly with the relevant parties to the tenancy and will be required to verify this if they subsequently make a formal RTB dispute application.

If the affected party is unable to identify or contact the landlord, they can make a formal request for the landlord’s and/or letting agent’s (where applicable) name and address (if registered) from the RTB. This application form (download here) must be fully completed and submitted by post to obtain contact information (e-mail or telephone requests are not accepted). The application form in Irish can be downloaded here

If the rental property in question is not registered, the RTB may take enforcement action against the landlord in question. This may result in a criminal conviction.

The landlord

If the person who is affected contacts the landlord about anti-social behaviour, the landlord can send a letter to the tenant once the complaint is received. This letter requires the tenant not to behave in the dwelling or in its vicinity in an anti-social manner. The letter can be downloaded here.

Application for RTB Dispute Resolution Services

Any complaints of a serious anti-social or criminal nature should be reported to the Gardaí in the first instance. 

If the initial attempt to resolve the matter directly with the relevant parties to the tenancy fails, the affected individual may make an application for dispute resolution to the RTB. This application can only be made by the affected individual, or a residents committee.  The applicant should enclose relevant documentary evidence in support of their case e.g. log of events, photographs, witness statements or Garda reports (where applicable). The applicant must also submit evidence that they informed the relevant parties to the tenancy of the alleged breach of the tenants’ obligations.

The Dispute application form (including the applicant’s name but not address) and all supporting documentary evidence will be copied in full to the landlord and tenant(s), who will also be invited to attend the Dispute Resolution Hearing which can be through adjudication or mediation. The RTB adjudicator can only consider documentation circulated to all parties. The applicant or respondent may send a representative to the RTB hearing in their place, or alternatively submit a written statement in their absence for circulation to the parties at the hearing, so long as the RTB is notified sufficiently in advance.

RTB adjudication proceedings and the subsequent adjudicator’s report are confidential to the parties. However, the subsequent Determination Order in the case will be published on the RTB’s website and will list the names of the case parties and the rental property address. RTB Mediation outcomes remain confidential to the applicant and respondent involved in the dispute and will not be published on the RTB website or issued to the tenant notic eparty of a third party application. 

Outcome of Dispute Hearing


At the hearing, all parties (the third party, landlord and tenant notice party) will be invited to the dispute hearing) and have the opportunity to set out their side of the dispute using documentary evidence already circulated, if necessary. If an agreement is not reached at the RTB dispute hearing, the adjudicator will make a determination in relation to the case as part of their formal report, which will issues after the hearing. If the adjudicator’s report is not appealed to a RTB Tribunal (only the landlord or third party may appeal in this scenario), the Board of the RTB will make a Determination Order, which is legally binding and can be enforced in the courts. 


The third party and landlord will be invited to take part in a Telephone Mediation hearing with an independent RTB mediator. Tenant notice parties are not invited to attend in this type of hearing. Parties will be facilitated to come to an agreement with the assistance of the Mediator. If an agreement is reached, parties will have 10 calendar days to withdraw from this agreement by referring the case to a Tenancy Tribunal. If no withdrawal is recieved, the terms of the Agreement will become legally binding. A Determination Order will be issued and the case will be concluded. This DO is a legally binding and the terms of the agreement can be enforced in the courts. 

Anti-social behaviour cases:

Please note that the remedy available to an adjudicator or tribunal in third party cases relating to a breach of landlord obligations is to award damages. The adjudicator or tribunal hearing the matter have no power to direct the removal of the tenants from the property in question. 

Parties may have a preference for ensuring that the breaches don’t persist, and therefore it may be preferable for the Third-Party applicant and Respondent Landlord to consider entering into telephone mediation in which parties could enter into a mutually acceptable and legally binding agreement. Alternatively, the landlord can bring a case themselves against their tenants for anti-social behaviour, or for Overholding if a valid Notice of Termination has expired. 

Appeal of Dispute Hearing

The third Party applicant or the landlord may appeal an adjudicator’s report within 10 working days of the adjudicator’s report issuing to the parties or 10 calendar days from the date of a mediation agreement being reached. 

An appeal will be considered by a three person RTB Tribunal hearing and its proceeding are open to the public. Tribunal reports are published on the RTB’s website. The Tribunal’s report will form the basis of a Determination Order, which will subsequently be made by the Board of the RTB.