What can I do if I am being charged the wrong rent?

If a tenant believes the landlord has miscalculated their rent, they should initially seek clarification from the landlord. If this does not resolve the matter, they can contact the RTB to seek further information. A dispute in relation to rent setting or rent reviews can be lodged with the RTB. It is encouraged that disputes in relation to rent setting and rent reviews are made as soon as possible, but disputes may be accepted after this.

A tenant cannot contract out of their rights to individual agreements with landlords and this includes limits to rent increases.