Individuals have the following rights:
- The right to access official records held by governmental departments and listed public bodies.
- The right to have personal information relating to them amended where it is incomplete, incorrect or misleading.
- The right to be supplied with reasons for decisions made or taken by governmental departments and listed public bodies that affect them.
This is in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2014 (“FOI Act 2014”).
There are exemptions in the FOI Act 2014 where, due to specific circumstances, the requested information will not be released, for example to protect another individual’s privacy rights. If any exemptions apply to a request, the reasons will be provided to you by the RTB FOI Unit.
How to make an FOI request?
Please download and complete the Freedom of Information Application Form
Completed application forms can be submitted by email to email@example.com
Alternatively you post a completed form to:FOI Officer, FOI Unit, RTB, PO Box 12323, Dublin 2, Ireland. When completing the application form please ensure to:
- Specify that the request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act 2014.
- Give as much detail as possible to support your request to enable the RTB FOI to process it efficiently.
- Be clear enough so that the RTB FOI Unit understand what records are being requested.
- Supply, where you are seeking personal information, the appropriate photographic identification with your request e.g. copy of driving licence and utility bill.
- Include your return address and contact details to allow the RTB FOI Unit to contact you and comply with your request.
Note: The RTB is not required to search for or provide non-personal records created on or before 21 April 2012. This does not apply to requests for personal information.
Records can be in various formats, including but not limited to: paper documents, information held electronically (on computer) and audio-visual material.
The RTB FOI Unit will issue an acknowledgement letter to you within 10 working days (excluding Public Holidays) of your request being received. The next stages of the process will be clearly explained in the acknowledgement letter.
A decision regarding your request will normally be issued by the RTB FOI Unit within 20 working days of the receipt of your request. In some cases, an extension of time may be necessary to complete the decision. If this occurs while processing your request, the RTB FOI Unit will contact you and explain this requirement.
Yes. If you would like to appeal the decision made, you can do so by sending a request in writing by post.
An internal review fee of €30 (€10 for medical card holders) is applicable when appealing a decision and this fee is to be sent with your written submission to the RTB FOI Unit. The appeal process will involve a full reassessment of your original FOI request at a more senior level. No internal review fee applies where the request sought access to your personal records.
If, after the internal review, you are unsatisfied with the decision and you would like to appeal again, your appeal should be directed to the Office of the Information Commissioner.
There is no charge for submitting a request.
In respect of non-personal requests, other charges may be applied for the time spent finding records and for any reproduction costs incurred by the RTB FOI Unit in providing you with the material requested (search, retrieval and copying charges). Where fees apply, the RTB will notify you in writing.
1. If you are claiming a reduced application fee, the request must be accompanied by the Medical Card registration number and your consent to the verification of these details with the Health Service Executive.
2. A full list of fees is available on request.
• Postal Order
• Bank Draft
Payment should be made payable to: The Residential Tenancies Board.
Freedom of Information Publication Scheme
The RTB has prepared and published Freedom of Information Publication Scheme on its website as per Section 8(7) of the Freedom of Informatin Act 2014. To view the latest information please click here.
Related Documents and Useful Links
For further information on Freedom of Information, please find some useful links below:
Freedom of Information Act
Office of the Information Commissioner
Freedom of Information Central Policy Unit
Contact usFOI Officer, FOI Unit, RTB, PO Box 12323, Dublin 2, Ireland. 0818 303037
Several sections of this website outline certain aspects of the FOI Act 2014. By doing this the RTB hopes to assist the public in making an FOI request. These pages are intended as a non-technical guide to certain aspects of the FOI Act 2014. They do not represent a legal interpretation and should not be taken as a definitive representation of anything contained in the FOI Act 2014.