The Board of the Residential Tenancies Board approved a Data Protection Code of Practice in February 2009. The policy of the RTB in relation to the implementation of the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 is to:
- Implement the key responsibilities contained in the Data Protection legislation which can be summarized in terms of the following "rules".
- Safeguard the privacy rights of individuals.
- Protect the personal data that we collect, process and retain.
- Release personal data under the Data Protection Acts only when permitted by law.
- Manage, co-ordinate and develop, in an effective manner, the implementation of Data Protection legislation in the RTB. This includes the management of responses to access requests, the restricting of access where required, and ongoing communication between the Data Protection Unit and colleagues to ensure that particular practices, proposals and developments are fully compliant with Data Protection legislation.
- Liaise and co-operate with and support the Data Protection Commissioner's Office on issues affecting Data Protection in the RTB.
- Ensure that staff are aware of their responsibilities under the Data Protection Acts
- Liaise with the Data Protection Commissioner's Office for guidance on specific cases and the transfer/exchange of information
The RTB is fully committed to this policy and will always strive to ensure that the privacy of your personal data is maintained. However, should you have any concerns, or are aware, or suspect that a data security breach has occurred in relation to personal information held by the RTB, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
Residential Tenancies Board
PO Box 47